Followers of The Retail Owners Institute® know that one of our beliefs is that "Retail is a mirror of society." And independent retailers, especially, are often in the forefront of "good business citizenship".
So, why not let your customers know? As Joe Kefauver wrote in Retailing Today*:
These are the things that independent retailers do day in and day out, without perhaps even realizing how special they are! And especially in today's world, these are your competitive edge!
- "Is there a fun way to let people know how many employees at a certain location have gone from entry level to a management position?
- "Can a company creatively communicate how many volunteer hours or non-profit dollars a certain establishment contributed to the community over the past year?
- "How is a given unit and its larger company talking about the use of its culture of opportunity to help leaders in a city solve problems?"
- Many of you are using social media to promote sales events, new product arrivals, etc.
- You already are finding how to convey your store's personality when it comes to your merchandise.
- Why not also use it to share how you do business? That is what increasingly matters to your customers.
- As a retailer, you likely are one of the civic leaders in your community. It's okay to let people know.
* "What retailers can learn from Uber's playbook", Guest Viewpoint by Joe Kefauver. Retailing Today, February 3, 2016.